The standard cookie policy for this website is to allow all cookies. This helps to ensure you have the optimal experience. If you would like to continue with our optimal website experience, you don't need to make any changes. If you would like to learn more about what cookies are and how we use them, visit our cookie policy page.

Overview of Entry Requirements

Entry requirements are specified separately for each programme in the relevant programme information document which you can download from the vacancy tables. These documents have also been uploaded to UCAS. It is vital that you look in the programme document to check the specific entry requirements for the programmes you wish to apply for. The programme documents also include a section describing the sort of person we are looking for.  


For all our programmes you need to have a degree, but it is OK to apply in your final degree year – any offer would simply be conditional upon you getting a degree at a specific level before the course commences.

For primary programmes, the subject of the degree is less relevant than for a secondary programme.

Third class degrees are not accepted by any of our partner universities but in some cases this problem may be overcome by a higher degree for example a Masters qualification in a relevant subject area. 


Commonly there are no requirements for specific A-levels but our Primary with Maths programme requires A-Level Maths at B or above. 


For all primary programmes you must have GCSE Maths, GCSE English Language and GCSE Science at C or above – or the equivalent of that.  Some primary programmes specify the need for at least 5 GCSEs or equivalent.

Those who studied abroad

If you studied outside of the UK for your Maths, English and Science qualifications and/or your degree, it is imperative that you visit the National Academic Recognition Centre (NARIC) website to find out whether your qualifications are of an equivalent level to UK GCSEs, and an undergraduate degree. Non UK qualifications can often cause an unnecessary delay in us being able to properly consider your application and the earlier we can overcome equivalency issues the better for you.

Please note that frequently, English Language qualifications taken abroad are not equivalent to the UK English Language GCSE (because it would have been taken as a second language.)  Many of our universities offer specialist equivalency tests to address this, but their tests are not the same and so you need be aware which partner university is involved in the programme you are applying to, in order to then establish which equivalency test you may need to take.  These issues always take longer to resolve than one expects.

DfE Professional Skills Tests in Numeracy and Literacy

You should book a place at a test centre and take these tests as soon as you can after applying and you need to have passed these ideally by April/May but certainly before the programme starts.  We strongly recommend taking them promptly. Offers are made conditional upon passing these tests.

A DfE announcement in Feb 2018 confirmed that there will not be no limit on the number of times you take the tests, and the first three attempts will be free of charge to all candidates.  Refunds will be made to anyone who has already paid for the tests in this year's recruitment cycle (on or since 24 Oct 2017). The lock-out period that previously prevented applicants from making more than three test attempts will be removed.

When you attend the test centre you will need to take two forms of identification - a primary ID such as a passport, and a secondary ID such as a debit card.  You also need to take proof of your UCAS teacher training application.  The evidence that will be accepted includes a welcome email from UCAS Teacher Training; correspondance from the school or university; a copy of the completed UCAS Teacher Training application form or confirmation of (or invitation to) an interview from the school or university.

See more information about the Professional Skills Tests:

The Professional Skills tests are required in addition to any separate WLTSA tests carried out by the school at interview. 

Work Experience (any field)

This is not the same as school observational experience.  This means employed work experience and is only relevant as an entry requirement for salaried programmes. 

To be eligible for a secondary salaried programme you need to have ideally 3 years full time (or equivalent) work experience in any field. This requirement is reduced to 18 months for some hard to fill subjects such as Maths and Physics.

Those with previous work experience in a school (for example teaching assistants or learning support assistants) may be well placed for these programmes but they are also open to all other career changers.

There is no requirement for work experience on unsalaried programmes, but observational experience in a school is required for all programmes, see below.

Observational School Experience

Recent (within the last 12 months) observational school experience in a state primary school provides you with the opportunity to observe a variety of teaching styles and to gain some understanding of classroom practise and the role of a teacher.

All programmes require you to have gained some experience in school observing classes of the appropriate age range. Gaining such experience will strengthen your application and support your interview answers. 

The amount required varies between different programmes. Some only specify 2 days of experience but others require more.  Some secondary programmes with UCL also require 5 days observing in a primary school but this could be done well after interview.

You need to contact schools directly to arrange such experience, see our School Experience tab.

Occupational Health Care Check & Disclosure and Barring Check

These checks are carried out after an offer is made but need to be satisfactory to enable you to start the programme.

  • On an unsalaried programmes they are administered by the university.                                                                                         
  • On a salaried programme they are administered by the school.