Special School Vacancies
SPECIAL SCHOOL VACANCIES
We have a number of Special Schools in the alliance that provide education for pupils with special needs. Working in a special school requires specialist skills but there is no separate teaching qualification to be a special needs teacher.
We have five Special Schools that are recruiting trainees for 2018-19 (as well as others currently training students in 2017-18). The five recruiting for 2018-19 are:
- Queensmill School – one remaining vacancy for salaried primary;
- Cambridge School - has filled its 2 salaried primary vacancies;
- Pield Heath House School - has offered its salaried primary vacancy;
- Jack Tizard - still hoping to find 1 unsalaried primary trainee;
- The Rise School - a newly opened vacancy for salaried primary as well as unsalaried vacancies for secondary Biology, Physics and Chemistry and Computing all of which attract high DfE bursaries
These training programmes have to be mainstream teacher training programmes (there is no separate 'SEN teacher training' qualification). You will be able to see full details about these programmes run in SEN schools within the relevant primary or secondary vacancies tables on this website. These schools will be marked '(SEN)'.
Anyone whose host school is a special school will need to have a slightly longer second placement to ensure sufficient experience is also gained in a mainstream environment. However these programmes hosted at special schools will give you an excellent grounding for a future career in the special needs sector.
It can be a significant advantage to have some previous experience of children with special needs so that you can demonstrate some understanding of the relevant issues, demands and rewards of this sector.
In the past we have also recruited a trainee for Parayhouse School in Fulham.