The standard cookie policy for this website is to allow all cookies. This helps to ensure you have the optimal experience. If you would like to continue with our optimal website experience, you don't need to make any changes. If you would like to learn more about what cookies are and how we use them, visit our cookie policy page.

Different Qualification Outcomes

Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)

This is a professional qualification (just like being a chartered accountant or surveyor) awarded by the teachers’ professional body, the Teaching Regulation Agency. QTS is the the only qualification that you need to be able to teach at a school in England and almost by definition all teacher training programmes include QTS. 

To get QTS your teaching is judged against The Teachers' Standards. The Teachers' Standards are set out on a single page, easy to Google and worth looking at before interview! 

Professional qualifications are not generally recognised abroad because they relate to the standards set by the professional body in a particular country.

Post Graduate Certificate of Education with Masters level credits (PGCE(M)

This is a separate academic qualification which is also included in all of our primary and secondary unsalaried programmes. This requires considerable time studying outside the classroom but on courses that include the PGCE, you still get at least 24 weeks in at least two schools to give you practical classroom experience. The PGCE(M) component of our programmes is awarded to you by the university associated with our course.  You do not need PGCE to teach in England, but academic qualifications are commonly recognised in other countries.

Why are most salaried programmes QTS without the PGCE? 

The PGCE is deliberately not included in many salaried programmes. This is because the schools offering these programmes want you to be training in a classroom for as much time as possible across the year. They need you to have QTS, and don't want to be paying you a salary while you are away from school at the university studying for a qualification that they don't need you to have and that they would be paying for.  They value the greater experience you would get in a classroom on a QTS only course.